- All of the housed weanlings being fed 2 kg of ration (52). These weanling’s tails and backs have been clipped this week to reduce sweating in the shed.
- All doors in the beef sheds are left open, day and night to prevent sweating among the livestock.
- The remaining 55 weanling are still at grass and they are also being fed 2 Kg of meals.
- The replacement heifer weanlings on the contract rearing farm were weighed on the 24th October. All of the 26 weanlings are on target for their weight.
- 16 of the replacement weanlings are on 1 Kg of ration.
- All weanlings were treated for worms on the 10th October.
- Depending on weather conditions, it is hoped that the weanlings will stay at grass until at least the 11th of November. Summary of weights as are follows:
- All beef animals are on 6 kg of meals.
- Newford Stakeholders meeting will take place next Thursday the 9th of November.
- Newford annual herd test will take place in November
Newford Farm welcomes all farmers and KT Discussion groups to the farm.
Key recommendations for this week
- Check calves for pneumonia and coccidiosis.
- Watch out for any mastitis in the dry cows.
- Prepare housing for the remaining weanlings outside.
- Clip tail and back of all animals housed.
- Identify more animals for the factory.
- Prepare sheds for the in-calf heifers to return back to Newford from the contract rearing farm.