- First of the weanlings (52) were housed on Wednesday. They are receiving 2kg of ration at the moment
- The remaining 55 weanlings are still at grass and they are also on 2 Kg of meals.
- 17 in-spec beef heifers and 4 cull cows were sent to the factory last week. There were 14 R grades, 1 U grade and 2 O grades. The 2 O grades animals were progeny from purchased in-calf replacement heifers sired by an AA bull. These heifers were 218 days @ grass when sent to the factory.
- The average grade and fat score for the 17 heifers was R =, 4 = and the average age was 19 ¼ months.
- The 4 cull cows graded O. The summary is as followed for the 17 in-spec heifers.
- The below table shows the average autumn sales prices for Newford Farm so far for 2017.
- All the beef animals were weighed on Wednesday 25th October. 47 beef bullocks and 9 beef heifers are summarised below.
- The table shows 20 bullocks turn out weights that were fed at grass from the 9th of August, but due to poor weather they had to be housed on the 13th October and were not finished at grass.
- These 20 bullocks are on 6 Kg of meal (3kgs morning and evening). Their average weight is 652 Kgs.
- The table below shows 27 bullocks average weight, which were housed on the 13th September and are also on 6 Kgs of ration.
- The 2 teaser bull’s average weight’s is 605 Kgs and they are on Ab Lid meal since mid-August
- The remaining 9 beef heifers’ average weight is as followed and they were housed on the 13th Sept. These in-spec animals are on 6 Kgs of meal.
- These heifers were housed on the 13th of September.
Newford Farm welcomes all farmers and KT Discussion groups to the farm
Key recommendations for this week
- Check calves for pneumonia and coccidiosis.
- Watch out for any mastitis in the dry cows.
- Prepared housing for the remaining weanlings outside.
- Clip tail and back of all animals housed.
- Identify more animals for the factory.