- Newford Herd passed the TB test on Friday the 25th November.
- Finishing animals on 6 Kg’s of meal and still gaining over 1.45kg/day on last weighing 4th Nov
- Weanling’s are on 2kgs of meal.
- Weanlings have received their fluke, worm and lice dosage.
- All the weanling have now received their full calf – weanling health protocol as lay out by the Newford Management (2016)
- Cull cows have been penned together and are getting 5kg of meal at the moment.
- All the cows have been penned according to their condition scoring.
- The average body condition score for the entire suckler herd is 2.94
- The average body condition score for the In-calf replacement heifers is 3.52
- The average body condition score for the First Calvers is 2.30
- The average body condition score for the Second Calvers is 2.75
- The average body condition score for the Third Calvers is 3.22
- 3rd Calvers are being restricted on silage – 3 days silage then 2 days straw
- 22 cows (majority 1st Calvers + 2nd Calvers) will receive 2kg of rolled barley for end November/December to increase BCS
- In-calf heifers will not be restricted and will be reassessed at the end December
- Average farm cover 668 kg DM/day
- Monitor cow body condition weekly
Key recommendations for this week
- Keep a close eye on cows for mastitis problems
- Monitor condition of the in-calf heifers
- Monitor the weanlings for any health issues.
- Clip the tails of the replacement in-calf heifers.
- Carry out the December cattle weighing.
- Get the replacement heifer weanling’s weighted on the contract farm