- All cows and 2 stock bulls have been housed – Monday 24th October
- Ground conditions have improved this week for young stock grazing.
- All of the weaned calves are back out on grass – healthier environment after weaning and this will extend the grazing period. They are receiving 1kg concentrate.
- There are 25 cows left to be weaned.
- Cow being dryed off are fed straw.
- All calves have been allowed back to suckle cows 2 days after weaning.
- The last of the weaning will take place in the next 3 days
- Weanling’s have consumed 22.5 Kg of concentrate/calf since meal was introduced in late August.
- 2 cows have been treated for mastitis since weaning.
- 1 male calf was treated by the vet for bloat and has recovered.
- 1 in-calf heifer died due to a blood clot (post mortem in regional vet lab)
- All grazing ground in Raheen Woods and Gort na hAbhainn have been closed
- Farm yard manure has been spread on a portion of the home paddocks.
- First cut silage pit has been open and is being fed to all stock in the yard.
- Average farm cover 408 kg DM/day
- Average growth rate 12 kg/DM/Ha
- Average Demand 17 kg/DM/Ha
- Currently 24 days ahead
- Current stocking rate: 1.11 L.U/Ha
- Current stocking rate in Live weight/ha: 849 kg/Ha
Key recommendations for this week
- Keep a close eye on dry cows to avoid mastitis problems.
- Scrap down slats daily and apply some lime.
- Monitor the weanlings for any health issues.
- Clip the tails and back of the weaned cows.
- Group cull cows and introduce concentrate to them.
- Have the loose sheds prepared, if weanlings have to come back in at short notice.