- Weanlings have been housed on straw until space becomes available in the slatted shed.
- The last 25 cows have been weaned and these are now on slats and being fed straw.
- All weaned calves have been allowed back to suckle cows 2 days after weaning.
- The average weaning date for all of the Newford weanlings is the 18th October
- The average weaning weight for the male weanling’s is 308 Kgs. ( ADG from Birth is 1.26 Kgs)
- The average weaning weight for the heifer weanling’s is 298 Kgs (ADG from Birth is 1.19 Kgs)
- All weanling’s are on 2 Kgs of meal
- 25 finishing beef animals slaughtered this week.
- No more mastitis cases from the dry cows - slats scraped down and lime spread on the slats daily until weaning is over
- Cull cows have been penned together and are getting 3kg of meal at the moment
- The in-calf heifers on the contract rearing programme will return home next week.
- 99% of the grazing ground is closed on the main home platform
- All grazing ground in Raheen Woods and Gort na hAbhainn have been closed
- First cut silage pit has been open and is being fed to all stock in the yard.
- TB herd test will take place on the 22nd of November
- Average farm cover 480 kg DM/day
- Average growth rate 16 kg/DM/Ha
- Average Demand 1 kg/DM/Ha
Key recommendations for this week
- Keep a close eye on dry cows to avoid mastitis problems
- Scrap down slats daily and apply some lime
- Monitor the weanlings for any health issues
- Clip the tails and back of the weaned cows and weanlings
- Follow up on all dosing products for fluke , worms and lice