- Grazing conditions are still excellent on the farm.
- 9.5 acres of first cut silage was cut on Tuohy’s farm on Wed 24th and baled on Thursday evening. There were 7 bales /acre at 25 % DM – will be fed to weanlings.
- The first cut silage at home (38ac Raheen & 16ac Gort na hAbhainn) was cut on Sunday evening, was tedded out and wilted for 24 hours before pitting on Monday the 29th.
- 15 acres of heavy paddocks were taken out and baled last Wednesday morning
- 114 round bales of surplus grass have been taken out for the month of May.
- The cull cow (O=4=) and heifer (O+4=) were slaughtered - killed out 52% and 51 %.
- The replacement calves (26) are now all on the contract rearing farm in Tuam.
- They are on a leader-follower system
- Average weight is 115kgs and gaining 0.73 ADG
- They are getting 1.5kgs of meal per day (18% Nut)
- Weighing summary and performance targets are below
on the contract rearing farm in Tuam.
- All cows have cycled except one since breeding commenced on the 24th April. This first time calver has received Estrumate to get her to cycle.
- The two stock bulls (SI & LM) will be turned out to the Newford herd on Saturday 3rd June for 4 weeks to mop up. One bull will be placed with each group of cows.
- The 26 replacement heifers have been bred to AI on the contract rearing farm with no repeats so far. Breeding started on the 24th April in cows and heifers.
- Target pre grazing paddocks at 1450 Kg DM (kg DM/Ha).
Key recommendations for this week
- Watch out for pneumonia in calves
- Order in the IBR vaccination for the cows for next month
- Get all steers and heifers weighted
- Keep silage pit covers tight
- Spread fertiliser out after silage cutting