- All 104 cows and 108 calves are grazing well. One calf got pneumonia and was treated by the vet and is responding well to treatment
- Ground condition is still very good despite heavy rain over the week end. All paddocks are still been grazed out tightly.
- Newford farm is still planning to cut the first cut of silage in the last week of May
- All the Steers (47) and Heifers (42) were weighted and summary as follows:
- All Steers and Heifers have received their Copper Bolus
- The last bunch of calves have received their booster Blackleg vaccination
- 92 % of the Newford Herd has now been AI within the first 3 weeks since AI commenced on the 24th of April
- 25 out of the 26 Replacement heifers have been AI on the contract rearing farm within the first 3 weeks AI. Breeding also started on the 24th April.
- Teaser bulls are working very well on finding out any cow in heat
- Any cow that has not cycle since the 24th of April will be scan by the Vet this week and will be treated according
- Once/day AI used -cows are being inseminated at midday each day
- Target pre grazing paddocks at 1400- 1500 Kg DM (kg DM/Ha)
Key recommendations for this week
- Heat checks each group of cows and watch out for pneumonia in calves
- Keep mineral buckets topped up and check cows for grass tetany.
- Keep the chin ball harness topped up with paint on teaser bulls
- Prepare silage pits