- The 61 steer bullocks are getting 5 kg of concentrates at grass and were weighed on Thursday the 23rd of August. The summary is as follow.
- The aim is to try and finished a portion of these in-spec bullocks off grass, but this will be all-weather depended.
- These bullocks are now 146 days at grass since turnout up to the 12th September
- All the calves were weighed on the 29th of August. All calves have access to creep and are consuming roughly 1 kg per day per calf. Summary as follow.
- In the coming days all the calves will be treated with their IBR vaccination against pneumonia. Weaning will begin in roughly two week’s time. All calves should have sufficient level of cover build up after the vaccinating prior to weaning.
- The first time calvers will be the first group of cows to be weaned. This will allow those cows a chance to build up their body conditions prior to calving next spring
Newford Farm Open Day
- Newford farm would like to thank everybody who attended the farm’s Open Day on the 5th September. We hope you found the day useful, as there was many take home key messages on the day. Over 1,100 people attended Newford farm on the 5th September.
- Thanks again for your support.
Grassland Management Details
Key recommendations for this week
- Monitor grass conditions daily
- Keep mineral buckets in the paddock to prevent grass tetany as temperature begins to drop back at night time
- Treat the calves for IBR