- Soil temperature on Newford Farm on Monday the 13th of July was 16 ° degrees at 10cm soil depth.
- Grass growth on the home farm this week is 57 Kg DM/Ha and on Tuohy’s farm it was 43 Kgs with a demand of 53 Kgs.
- Second cut round bales of silage 10 acres will be taken out next week on Tuohy’s farm and this will released the pressure for grass supplies when those paddocks fall back into the grazing ground
- A sugar sample will be carried out next Monday and Newford will be aiming for a sugar content of 3 ½ to 4 % for those silage bales to allow for a good preservation of the crop
- A half bag of protected urea (38N + 7% S) per acre is being spread after each grazing at the moment.
Newford produced a video on its grassland management for Teagasc Virtual Beef Week and the link is provide below;