- Ground conditions and utilisation of paddocks is still remaining excellent for this time of the year, considering all the suckler cows were nearly 2 months housed this time last year .
- Most of the paddocks on all of the 3 farms have now been closed for early grass for next spring 2019
- The suckler cows will be housed next week
- All 104 weanling are on 2 Kgs of concentrates at grass
- The average weaning date for all of the weanlings was the 4th October 2018
- The male weanlings did 1.24 Kg from birth to weanling
- The heifers weanlings did 1.18 Kg from birth to weanling
- One weanling died last week, suspected case of pneumonia
- All the Steer bullocks (61) have now been housed. They were on average 176 days at grass since turnout (19th April). Their housing weight was 595 Kgs. Summary as follow
- These steers were treated at housing with a short withdrawn period pour on for round and lungworms.
- These steers are now on 8 Kg of concentrates (4 kg morning and evening) plus silage and as soon as these in-spec steers become fit for slaughter, they will be sent to the factory.
- Lime has been spread on all of Touhy’s 13.03 ha farm (2 ton per acre) one paddock got 3 ton per acre. Based on soil sample results.
Grassland Management Deatails
Grass cover taken last Monday the 29th of October
Key recommendations for this week
- Monitored cows after weaning for mastitis
- Monitored weanlings for pneumonia and coccidiosis
- Keep mineral buckets in the paddock to prevent grass tetany as temperature begins to drop back at night time
- Silage sample the second cut.