- Ground conditions have deteriorated significantly with slight poaching in some paddocks - utilisation is poor as a result. Rainfall figures below show that 256mm (10 inches) more rain fell in Athenry than Oakpark. Over 100mm (4 inches) fell in June, July and August with July being the wettest month since March.
- 10 of the lightest replacement calves on the contract rearing farm will receive 1kg of concentrate at grass. Target weight for these heifers is 190kgs on the 1st October 2017
- Creep feeding the calves began on the 24th August.
- Weaning will start in early to mid-September – 15 culls will be weaned first and sold off as soon as weaning is complete. The priority is to build grass for the cattle that will be slaughtered off grass and weanlings. If ground conditions deteriorate further we plan to house cattle that will be finished out of the shed and some weaned cows. Grass will be better utilised by lighter stock.
- 49 heifers being fed at grass. This group will be split next week when grazing comes back on the second cut silage ground.
- Meal feeding started on the 28th July. Heifers are receiving 5kg of concentrate/day.
- Planning to sell the first of these heifers early/ mid-September.
Key recommendations for this week
- Keep silage covers on pit tight
- Check calves for pneumonia
- Keep tetany buckets out with cows
- Build the Autumn Grass wedge
- Get first cut silage tested
- Weigh the bullocks and heifers
Newford Farm welcomes all farmers and KT Discussion groups to the farm